Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tuesday June 3rd

Liesl has had the hardest time working on her Personal Progress.  Louisa almost has her's finished, but Liesel has gotten too busy with school and friends, and it was starting to look like she would never get her Young Womanhood Recognition award. I have been worried about her for more reasons than her Personal Progress, however.  She has seemed disconnected from the family, her grades have gone down, and she has not been the smiling, bubbly girl I've known.

This summer I decided it was time to see what I could do about helping Liesl get her Personal Progress done.  I decided that I would earn mine again, and maybe she would want to do it with me.  I outlined my plan of how to accomplish every goal by the end of the summer, and got to work.  Happily, she took an interest and has joined me in the experiences I have started.

We decided together that one of our projects would be for me to teach her how to make bread.  She wasn't very excited about getting started today, but once she had dragged herself to the kitchen, she was very good about jumping in and doing everything I told her to do.  We were in the kitchen together for most of the day, working on making butter while the bread raised, and even making some cookies.  We didn't talk about anything significant, or have any real breakthrough moments.  We were just working together for most of the day.  And what a huge difference it made!  She was much more friendly to everyone in the family, even helping with the younger children without being asked.  She laughed with me when I got sprayed by the sprinklers later in the day, and joined in our evening reading without keeping her nose on her iPod the whole time. 

I have seen the Lord's hand in our lives today in the way that he first provided the Personal Progress program for girls and their mothers to work on together.  And second in the way that he brought my daughter and I closer together while we made bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment