Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday June 10th

I got an odd text from my mom today.  It said, "Could you escape for a little bit?" I said that I thought I could, but I didn't have a car.  She said she was going to get a hot fudge sundae, and she'd be by to pick me up in just a minute.
Odd.  Very odd.  My mom and I are good friends and live a couple miles apart, but things like this are not part of our regular routine.
I figured something was up, so I told my kids to put the bread in the oven, and I would be gone for a little while.  I said Grandma was probably having a nervous breakdown, and I wasn't sure how long I'd be.
Sure enough, soon after I climbed into my mom's truck, she started crying.  I wasn't too worried, because, to be honest, my mom cries a lot.  It turned out that a customer service representative of the local phone company had been extremely rude to her, and she was just plain ticked off.  My mom's life is not one to be envied these days, and it doesn't take much to push her over the edge.
So we went and got a hot fudge sundae and drove around for a while.  She told me how rude the woman on the phone had been, and I told her how rude the lady at church last week had been.  We talked about my siblings and my father and raising kids, and all the other things moms talk about with their grown-up daughters.
I don't think we discussed anything profound, and I didn't give any helpful advice, but when she dropped me off at home, she seemed much happier.
Sometimes I look for God's hand in my life by looking for the things he's given me and the people he's sent to help me.  But today I saw God's hand in my life in the way that he used me to help someone else.  I didn't do anything amazing, but I'm glad that both my mom and the Lord knew that I was available when I was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment