Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday July 20th

I haven't always been the greatest visiting teacher.  In fact, I've often been a lousy visiting teacher.  But I've been trying to do better lately.  I have been visiting one lady for several years now who doesn't attend church.  She's a very sweet lady, and I always enjoy visiting with her.  Her girls were in the Young Women program while I was a leader, and so I know her family a little that way.  I have invited her to church lots of times, and she always agrees that she should go, but never shows up.  I have invited her to Relief Society activities and ward parties and she is always friendly about it, but never shows up. 
Her daughter, though, just returned from a mission.  This same daughter told me years ago that she thought if her mom had a really good visiting teacher, that she might come to church.  It wasn't long after that I was made her mom's visiting teacher.  I felt like I owed it to the daughter to do my part in trying to get her mom to church while she was gone on her mission, and I tried, but it just didn't happen.  The daughter came home from her mission a few weeks ago, but I still hadn't seen her.  That explains why I was so excited to see her walking toward me after Sacrament Meeting today.  But I was even more excited when I saw her mom walking behind her.  They had both come to Sacrament Meeting! Hooray!

The mom said that the daughter had finally convinced her to come by reading her most of 3 Nephi chapter 13.  Now why didn't I think of that?   However it happened, I am so glad that this sweet lady finally made it to church.  The daughter is moving away soon, and it will be up to me again to get her to church.  I hope that I can do it.  I am grateful for the Lord's hand in my life today in showing me how we should never give up on anyone.  They are all His children, and if we have patience, He can help us see how to touch each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment