Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saturday July 19th

Hello!  We've been at a family reunion for the last couple of days, which is my excuse for not writing.  It's a pretty good excuse, since we were camping in the mountains with only very spotty cell phone reception.  But now I'm back to give you a summary.  We left on Thursday afternoon, bringing along one very sick Marta.  She had the stomach flu and was pretty miserable.  She kept her throw-up bowl near, and used it often, poor girl.  We managed to arrive at the camp site and had fun visiting with the Captain's family.  Marta felt considerably better the second day, and was up and playing with cousins.  I followed her around for a while with a water bottle, trying to get her re-hydrated, but kids are amazing, and she was off and running in no time.

We took our trust tent trailer, which has been with us on many camping trips for the last thirteen years.  I'm afraid it's getting a little worn out these days, but it's still much more comfortable than a tent, so I'm sure it will see a few more years of service before it's retired.

We played and ate and got very, very dirty.  We finally made it home this afternoon, and all I wanted in the world was a shower and a nap.  I changed into my pajamas and stayed in them the rest of the day, even though we got home around three in the afternoon.  It's funny how a couple days of camping will help you realize just how much luxury you enjoy.  It's been a while since I took a
moment to appreciate how lovely it is to walk on carpet in my bare feet, or take a shower in a clean bathroom with water that's just the right temperature.  The air conditioner feels like a gift sent straight from God, and I'm sure I don't deserve it.  It's so very nice to keep things in a refrigerator instead of  a cooler, and to cook over an indoor stove instead of a campfire.

I usually enjoy camping, but this camping trip just didn't sit well with me.  That may be why I am seeing every convenience in my house as a wonderful gift from the Lord.  He has blessed us with so much that I take for granted.  So today's evidence of the Lord's hand in our lives is the air conditioner, the carpet, and running water.  Any person visiting our time from past centuries would see these things as miracles, and today I do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment