Saturday, July 12, 2014

Saturday July 12th

I somehow ended up with nothing to do today.  Of course there are always dishes and laundry to do, and there is always some part of the house that needs to be cleaned, but all of my scheduled events were either cancelled or postponed, and I found myself free to choose today's activities.  But I was completely lost.  I had no idea how to fill a day that was my own.  It actually made me a little grumpy this morning.
But then Liesl asked me to go driving with her.  She is about to get her driver's license, and just needs a little more practice.  I  decided that would be a good thing to fill up an hour or so. We set off, and decided to follow some back roads that we hadn't been on before.  The first of these just took us around a little hill and spat us back out onto a familiar road very quickly.  So we went looking for another road, and found one.  This one, however, did not spit us out quickly. It held on to us for about three hours.  We ended up going over a mountain, and while the scenery was beautiful, the road was a little rough.  If we had been in a truck or SUV, I'm sure it would have been fine, but we were in a little car that was close to the ground, and not at all suited for the rough dirt roads filled with deep tire ruts and large rocks.  Besides all that, Liesl is a new driver and likes to hug the right side of the road.  There was one time when I was sure we were in trouble. There was another car coming the other direction, and so she was trying to move over to make room on the one lane dirt road.  However, there was one part of the road that was cut away by a large ditch, and I knew that our tire was going in the ditch and we would be in a lot of trouble.  I can't tell you why we were able to glide safely over that ditch.  There had to have been angels holding us up. When I got after Liesl for it, she didn't know what I was talking about.  She hadn't even seen the danger we were in.
I am so glad that the Lord took care of us over that mountain road.  It was nice to spend some time with Liesl and see some of the beautiful world that God has given us, but it could have ended in tragedy any number of times.  I realize that sounds very melodramatic, but anyone who has driven with a new driver will realize that I'm not exaggerating!  I am very grateful to be here writing this post tonight, that we are all safe and sound, and that the Lord loves us and watches over us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment