Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tuesday August 5th

Most evenings at five o'clock I start to work on dinner.  I really should start at four, but five o'clock is when I usually start.  Somehow, as soon as I begin, someone comes up with an emergency that I need to take care of.  This is why I should start at four, because even though I should be able to have dinner ready in an hour, it usually takes two hours to make dinner and take care of everyone's emergencies.  Tonight's emergency was Kurt's.  He needed to bring his bike to Scouts at six o'clock, but his bike has had a flat tire for weeks.  He's been shown how to do it, but there's always some reason why he's sure he can't do it - the patches are all gone (he says), he can't find the pump, the tire won't come off, etc.  Tonight, though, he had a deadline, and he needed to get it done.  So, of course, he picked five o'clock to do it.

Meanwhile, I really needed to get dinner done because not only was Kurt leaving at six, but the three oldest were all leaving at six thirty to attend their activities.  This meant that dinner couldn't be served at seven tonight if I wanted those four kids to eat before they left.

Poor Kurt came in the house crying at six fifteen because he couldn't get the tire off.  I helped him get the tire off, get the tube out, and find the hole, then went back in the house to continue dinner.  It only took a few minutes for him to be upset and come find me again because he had lost the hole and couldn't get the pump to attach to the tube so he could find it again.  Sigh.  He really just needed someone to come help him through the project.

The Captain was trying to service some vending machines around town.  He was trying to get to as many as possible before the businesses closed, and I knew that many of them closed at six o'clock.  I felt bad calling him, but I did anyway, and  I couldn't do both at the same time, so I called the Captain to see if he could come and help Kurt.

He is just the sweetest man, because he came right home to help.  I offered to let him fix dinner while I helped Kurt, but he decided he'd be better at fixing a bike.  :)  So I went back to fixing dinner, and the Captain had that bike fixed in under fifteen minutes.  Whew!  I managed to feed everyone dinner before they took off, and we all lived happily ever after (at least for the rest of the day.) I am just amazed at the wonderful man the Lord gave me.  Not only is he a sweet, patient dad, he's also an amazing fix-it man.  I am so glad the Lord sent him into our lives and for all that he does to help us every day.  Thanks, Sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment