Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sunday August 24th

Today Louisa received her Young Womanhood Recognition Award!  Hooray!!!  Usually girls are racing to finish it before they turn eighteen, but Louisa is only thirteen-year-old, and she's done!  Woohoo!  My amazing kids are surely one of my greatest blessings.

For the last two days my back has been bothering me.  I wasn't sure what I had done to it.  Maybe it was all that butter I had to rinse that took forever?  I don't know.  But by the time the Captain and I made it home from the temple yesterday, I was in serious pain. I couldn't sit, couldn't stand, couldn't lay down.  It hurt a lot.  It was a little better this morning, but I still wasn't very excited about sitting through three hours of church.  I was pretty sure that was going to cause me more pain, and I was just not looking forward to it.  So it seemed like a blessing when Gretl developed a fever in the night.  I couldn't find anything wrong with her - she doesn't even have a runny nose - but she still had a fever this morning, so I was going to stay home with her (and lay on the floor most of the time), while everyone else went to church.

But....  then the Bishopric called, rushed Louisa up to the church for her interview, and announced that she would receive her Young Womanhood Recognition today.  What?!?

So I got Gretl dressed, through a skirt on, ran my fingers through my hair, and arrived at church so that I could be there for Louisa.  I figured we'd stay until Gretl couldn't handle it anymore, and she did amazingly well.  I decided to sit back and enjoy the meeting, since it looked like we were staying for a while.  Then Brigitta asked for a pen, and I was trying to give it to her even though there were several people between us.  Gretl was trying to steal it out of my hands, and Kurt was turned around backward so that he didn't know I was trying to pass him a pen for Brigitta.  So I kept leaning over more and more, with my arm stretched out, basically laying across the laps of Louisa and Kurt, to reach the pen to Brigitta, and I felt a dull click.  Brigitta finally took the pen, and I sat up again.  And do you know?  I think my back is fixed! 

Soon after that, Gretl came and climbed onto my lap.  I could feel that her fever was coming back.  She whimpered for about ten seconds, and then fell asleep.  I brought her home and put her in bed, and came to write about my back miracle, and found another miracle!

It rained most of the night a couple of days ago, and when I got up that morning, I saw that our desktop had turned off.  I figured the lightning had caused a brown-out, and the computer had just shut down. But when I turned it on, it didn't look good.  All our settings were gone.  The desktop looked just like we had just bought it again.  All our bookmarks, all our program settings, all our icons were gone.  I was a little irritated, to say the least.  All our files are backed up with Carbonite, so I wasn't worried about that, but all the little things that make a computer your own were gone. So I've just been using the laptop, because it still remembers my homepage and how to get my email. I've been meaning to sit down and set up the desktop computer again, but it was a big job that I wasn't excited about.

Today I brought Gretl home, put her in bed, and came to the computer.  And guess what?  It was back!  A familiar picture was on the desktop background, all my icons were where they were supposed to be, and my email program was all set up.  Woohoo!!!

I have no idea how that happened, but I am so very grateful.  God's hand has definitely been working in my life today.  Not only is my back fixed (I still have some sore muscles, but the sharp pain is gone), but my computer is also back.  I am truly blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment